Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Problems with Belbin's Team Roles

I met a business lecturer the other who told me they didn't "believe in" Belbin. I've out it in quotes because I'd had a couple of glasses of Red and can't be entirely sure of the exact words...

This got me to thinking about the potential limitations of his research and the way some people use it, which include:

* the subjects were all middle managers selected for "grooming" for senior management
* the environment was within a management development programme at a business school
* the behaviour was observed during business simulation games
* Belbin himself confirms his model is NOT a typology, yet people use it that way

I have written some of these thoughts into the Wikipedia page I started on Belbin.

The biggest danger as always lies not in the model but in the mis-use of it to pigeon-hole people. Belbin himself argues against this pointing out that his subject teams adapted to fill "empty" roles.

All the best,

Dave Bull
Team Coaching Network Ltd
http://www.teamcoachingnetwork.com

No comments: